The UltraMind Solution - by Mark Hyman, MD
Fix your broken brain by fixing your body first.
[I think, I am going to follow this Dr.'s research by avoiding toxic foods; in fact he tacitly recommending follow Indian methods - eat vegetable and do yoga. The body-and-mind are a single dynamic bidirectional system; meaning, body directly influences mind]
Obesity is obvious; but issues that creates to brain and mind is hidden and hence watch out your food intake.
There are 7 steps to make your body in balance.
1. Optimize nutrition (nearly all of us are nutritional imbalance).
2. Balance your hormone
3. Cool off inflammation
4. Fix your digestion
5. Enhance detoxification (removal of toxic substances from the body)
6. Boost energy metabolism
7. Calm your mind
Doctor are become so fast in judging patients medicine without seeking what causes the problem. Find the name of the disease then match drug to the disease. (e.g. You have depression, so you need an 'antidepressant'. You are anxious, so then you need anti-anxiety' so on..). It is so much heavy use of wrong practice and it goes to the extend that patient being diagnosed as Prozac deficient!
There is a two-volume book medical professional use called ' ICD-9 (the international Classification of Disease). It is the bible of medical diagnosis which list 12,000 disease to help doctors to whom to bill for their treatment (insurance company or gov. funded medicare). Book gives the impression that these disease are distinct and separate. but it is not so.
What most consumers don't understand is that drug testing is often very limited before drug approval. Then they releases on the market, supported by more than $30bn in pharmaceutical advertising dollars. Once approved these drugs can be prescribed for any use. There is no official tracking of its risks or benefits to the millions who are prescribed the drug. This leaves the public very vulnerable.
For example, medicines like Prozac were reserved for psychosis. But now with little hesitation or scientific evidence, these medicines are given to children with behavioral problem, autism and ADHD and to adults with depression, anxiety,m obsessive-compulsive disorder, bipolar disease, dementia and Parkinson disease.
1. High-Fructose Corn Syrup (or any form of sugar or refined carbohydrate)
Sugar uses up your body's store of vitamins and minerals without providing any in return
High sugar consumption is tied to so many mental disorders
Sugar causes crusting in your brain
2. Trans or Hydrogenated Food
This comes from processed foods, baked goods, most fried foods, margarine and virtually any product that comes from a factory (an food comes with a calorie label)
4. Alcohol (however lower doze is OK )
6. Mercury & led included items (big fishes, river fish, grapes, apple, peach, pears..)
Other helping tips:
1. have a 7-8 hour sleep.(lack of sleep has been linked to Alzheimer's disease)
2. Do proper exercises (when you don't exercise you have lower levels of IGF-1 (indicator of growth hormone) and lower levels of BDNF(brain derived neurotropic factor - which is like super fertilizer for your brain)
3. Relax ( do yoga, meditate). People who meditate regularly actually have increased brain size along with better mood and cognitive functions.
In order to see a quick change in you, author suggests 6 weeks plan that consists of 4 basic components
1. A healthy eating plan
2. Basic supplements
3. Lifestyle changes
4. Living clean and green
Healthy eating plan include:
1. Eat whole, real, fresh, organic , unprocessed food
fresh vegetables, beans, nuts, lean animal protein, such as small fish, chicken and egg
2. Eat a lot of fruit and vegetables full of colorful phytonutrients
Organic or local foods (visit www.localharvest.org/csa)
3. Eat foods with plenty of fiber
4. Eat foods containing omega-3 fats.
5. Eat something every 4 hours to keep your insulin and glucose levels normal
6. Avoid eating 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
Avoid the following:
1. Sugars in any form
2. Trans fats
3. Food additives and chemicals (Any food in a box - if it has a lebl, don't eat it)
4. Toxin rich foods
5. Red meats and organ meats
6. Large predatory fish and river fish including sword fish, tune, tile-fish, and shark
7. Acid fruits and vegetables with the highest toxin load - apple, grapes, peaches, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberies, cherries, lettuce and pears are the worst 10 offenders
(pleas see the list - http://www.foodnews.org/ for list of low & high pesticide containing foods)
8. Confine (soda, coffee, tea)
10. Gluten (from wheat, barley, rye, splet, kamut, triticale, and oats)
11Diary (milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, ice cream)
Few food recommendations:
Omega-3 fats are the most important building blocks for a healthy brain and cells.
1. Cold-fish such as salmon(esp. Alaskan), sardines, herring, small halibut and sable(black cod) - http://www.vitalchoice.com/
2. If the above not available, go for canned/bottled ones
3. Eat omega-3 eggs (8 per week)
4. Use extra virgin oil
5. Beans or legumes
6. Nuts (almonds, walnuts,macadamia nuts, pecans)
7. Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia etc.)
8 . Use slow burning, low-glycemic vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts
9. Eat more antioxidant-rich and energy-boosting foods - orange & yellow vegetables, dark green leafy vegetables (kale, collards, spinach), anthocynamidins( berries, beets, grapes, pomegranate), purple grapes, blueberries, bilberries, cranberries, and cherries. In fact antioxidants are in all colorful fruits and vegetables.
10. Include detoxifying foods (broccoli, collards, kale, broccoli, broccoli Rebe, cauliflower, cabbage, green tea, garlic, citrus and even cocoa.
11. Use hormone-balancing foods such as whole soy foods and ground flax-seeds
12. use herbs such as turmeric, rosemary and ginger which are powerful antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and detoxifiers
13. Eat garlic and onions - noted for cholesterol blood-pressure lowering and antioxidant effects. they also anti-inflammatory and enhance detoxification
14. Drink green tea which contains abundant amounts of anti-inflammatory, detoxifying and antioxidant plytonuterients
15. Chocolate - only darkest (more than 70% cocoa) - once a day
Needed basic supplements:
1. High-quality, high potency, highly available broad spectrum multivitamin, which contains all the basic essential vitamins and minerals
2. Calcium and magnesium
3. Vitamin D3 (this usually happens with lack of sun light; lack of this vitamin cuases depression; esp. in winter due to lack of sun lights)
4. Omega-3 fatty acids
5. Methylation factrosL folate B6 and B12. (These are really needed for brain health)
6. Probiotics or beneficial bacteria to improve your digestion, reduce food allergies and reduce gut inflammation.
7. Omega-6 fat (GLA or gamma linoleic acid) can help balance sex hormones
Special herbs for brain:
Huperzine A - it works by increasing acetylcholine in the brain
Vinpocetine - is an extract of the periwinkle plant
St. John's Wort (it contains many phytonuterients, called hypericins. Don't combine with other antidepressants.
Relaxation or Yoga:
1. Soft-belly breathing - follow this step.
Put your hands on your belly and allow your abdomen to relax
Close your eyes or soften your focus, looking at the floor a few feet in front of you
Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth
breath deeply into your abdomen and feel it expand to teh count of five
Pause for a count of one
Exhale slowly to a count of five, allowing your body to relax and release tension
Repeat for five breaths or until you feel relaxed.
Repeat this 3-5 times a day
Additional recommended books:
Dr. Gary Small's 'the money prescription; Dr. David Perlutter's 'the better brain Book, and the 'the Healthy Brain Kit by Dr. Andrew Weil and Gary Small.
Heavy metal toxicity - http://www.abcmt.org/
Amalgam Removal - http://www.iaomt.org/
Relaxation Sources - http://www.mindfulnesstapes.com/
healing rhythms http://www.wilddivine.com/
Belleruth Imagery center - http://www.healthjourneys.com/
Academy of imahery = http://www.academyofguidedimagery.com/
Mind body medicine - http://www.mbmi.org/
Tools for relaxation and healing - http://www.emwave.com/
Sung light saunas http://www.sunlightsaunas.com/
Educational retreats http://www.kripa/;u.org
Omega institute - http://www.eomega.org/
Shambahal center - http://www.shambhalamountain.org/
Brain exercise - http://www.brianage.com/
Ultramind simple diet - www.ultramind.com/usd
Ultra metabolism - www. ultramind.com/um
Author's blog - www.ultrawellness.com/blog